Friday, March 13, 2015

Erickson family characteristic

Erickson brothers
Obviously I've been around Ericksons all my life, but it wasn't until a few years ago, when at an Erickson reunion, that I first noticed a family characteristic. As I looked around the room at the various uncles, first cousins, second cousins once removed, and so on, I realized all of the men had similar foreheads - high, broad and slightly square, sometimes with a slight vertical crease above the nose. Now there is probably some of it in the females of the family, but thankfully I don’t think it is as noticeable. It works for the men, but I’m not sure it would look as great on the fairer sex.

I soon realized it wasn't just an “Erickson forehead.” In looking at a picture of my great-great grandpa, Erik Person, and his brother Nels Utterberg, I saw they too had similar foreheads. (Erik, or Erick, is where "Erickson" comes from.) To test my theory, I looked through some pictures that an Utterberg cousin, Terri, had shared with me. (Visit her blog here!)  As I didn't know the people in her pictures, I tried to identify my distant relatives by looking at their foreheads. I was able to pick out most of the blood relatives.
Brothers Nels Utterberg and Erik Person


Have you noticed any characteristics passed through the generations in your family?

Daniel Erickson family

No comments:

Post a Comment